Sunday, August 17, 2014

Blogging - Regular Me



As I sit at my desk writing the last one thousand words for the day because I'm totally unmotivated, I decided to take a picture of what I look like right now. I don't like taking selfies. They never turn out right. I'm always plain, old, and a number of other bad descriptions that run through my head when I see each pic.

I began to think about a discussion I had in a Facebook group yesterday about what readers are tired of seeing in IR books. A few said poor girls who have nothing getting with billionaires. I felt some type of way about that (lol) because I write a lot of billionaires and poor(ish) heroines.

Then I thought about why. The one thought I keep in my bio is that Tressie Lockwood writes for those who have a hard time being completely themselves. I write heroines for this type of reader because I struggle with it myself. I like to be relaxed and quiet in my life. I always have people around me who are much more active and happy and just out there.

I love to be in the state I am in this picture--a T-shirt, no makeup, just me, whether I am at home or out somewhere. I just want to be me. It took me a long time to be brave enough not to care about what others think of me so I could go natural. I love my natural hair. It's a challenge. Sometimes it frustrates me. Sometimes I think it looks a hot mess. But I still like it, and that's all I want to care about.

I'm plain, I'm introverted, I'm okay, I'm not social. I'm awkward. I'm arrogant. I'm humble. I'm boring. I'm funny.

I'm also all over the dang place in this blog. Okay, so back to the point about heroines. I do like to write heroines who are struggling financially because it was so painful in my life, and I want my readers to connect and dream for change. I had forgotten I did write a group of sisters (Urban Heat) who were rich from family money. I loved the girls, but they weren't real to me.

In this same series, the last hero wasn't rich. In fact, he worked for the heroine's dad. Talk about fall from my precious billionaires. :) I loved him a lot. Maybe in the future I will write more ordinary fellows and possibly some upper crust women, but you can guarantee my women will have challenges of staying their own course when life and people pull them left and right.

Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment